Hey guys , just want to wish everyone who posts or regularly visits here a Happy New Year. 2011 has been a very special year for us. The most significant year for Uruguayan football arguably since 1987.
4. Uruguay's awesome retro 1970s esque jerseys
Gotta say, Puma outdid themselves here. I love the 1970s kits and I am 100% getting this as soon as they are released.
3. Uruguay exploding out of the gates in the Eliminatorias.
- The sheer emotion of watching Luisito score 4 goals vs. CHILE of all teams while at work is something I'll never forget. Watching the 2nd goal still gives me an adrenaline rush.
2. Peñarol's epic run to the Copa Libertadores final.
Regardless if you don't like Peñarol, this run for me really highlighted the reason I absolutely adore Uruguayan football so much. Many felt they had no right to even cause these teams a headache. They were economically dwarfed by Inter, Velez, Santos and Universidad Catolica. Peñarol beating the odds over and over again, showing patience and enough resilience to make the proudest skeptic actually stand up in respect. The fact that they came so close to beating Santos on nearly heart alone makes it even more special. Oh, and the 2nd leg to the Peñarol v. Velez series will go down as one of the greatest sports matches I have ever witnessed.
1. Uruguay winning the Copa America
What else needs to be said. Sharing this experience with everyone here on this forum was truly special. What stands out for me the most was the win vs. Argentina, which for me ranks up there with beating Ghana in 2010. Beating Messi, and Argentina in their own home... in a decisive and historic derby, on the day of the Maracanazo. It really doesn't get much better than that.. For me , that was the final. But to see Uruguay run over Peru and Paraguay so convincingly, like ARgnetina and Brazil usually do, is something that I had literally prayed for since I was a child.
That final vs. PAraguay was a celebration of everything Uruguay stood for in football. The return of the undisputed Kings of the Copa America.
A look at Uruguay's 2012 schedule
- Friendly vs. Romania
- Friendly vs. Russia
- WCQ vs. Venezuela
- WCQ vs. Peru
- 2012 London Olympics (I am planning on going for the first 3 games of the tournament actually)
- Friendly vs. France
- WCQ- Colombia v. Uruguay
- WCQ- Uruguay v. Ecuador
- WCQ- Argentina v. Uruguay
- WCQ- Bolivia v. Uruguay